The SAFARI Research Group is led by Professor Onur Mutlu. We are part of the Department of Information Technology and Electrical Engineering (D-ITET) at ETH Zurich.
Our research is in computer architecture, systems, security, and bioinformatics. Our work spans and stretches the boundaries between applications, systems, languages, system software, compilers, and hardware. We tackle many issues in high performance, energy efficiency, hardware security, fault tolerance, predictable systems, dependable systems, and hardware/software cooperation. We are especially excited about novel, fundamentally-secure and fundamentally-efficient computation, communication and memory/storage paradigms, applied to emerging systems, technologies, and bioinformatics/medical applications. Group members also work in the areas of system design for bioinformatics and biologically inspired computing paradigms.
We are always looking for highly qualified and motivated students and researchers. If you are an ETH student and are interested in doing a bachelor or master's thesis with us, or a semester project, please see our Theses and Projects page for potential topics.
If you are about to finish your bachelor or master’s degree or are already doing research and are interested in working with us at any level (internship, PhD, postdoc, visiting scholar), please visit our Work with us page.
- Interview with Mohammed Alser: on his recent papers and his future workJanuary 22, 2021Mohammed Alser is a Senior Researcher and Lecturer with SAFARI. He was previously a PhD student in SAFARI, co-advised with Can Alkan. Mohammed co-teaches two Projects and Seminars courses on Genome Sequencing Analysis and Mobile Genomics along with the Seminar on Computer Architecture. We recently […]
- Interview with Damla Senol Cali: about her work, experience in SAFARI, and her future directionsJanuary 11, 2021Damla Senol Cali is a PhD student with SAFARI at CMU co-advised by Onur Mutlu and Saugata Ghose. We recently interviewed Damla about her work, her experience as a PhD student in SAFARI, and her future directions. Damla’s interview appears as the first video contribution to the SAFARI Meet […]
- Read the latest edition of our SAFARI NewsletterJanuary 5, 2021Dear SAFARI friends, Happy New Year! We are excited to share our group highlights with you in this second edition of the SAFARI newsletter: https://safari.ethz.ch/safari-newsletter-january-2021/ In this second edition of the SAFARI newsletter, we share our research, teaching and outreach […]
- TRRespass wins the Pwnie Award for Most Innovative ResearchDecember 10, 2020TRRespass won the Pwnie Award for “Most Innovative Research” at the annual BlackHat Europe conference this week. Pwnies are the most prestigious industrial awards in the security community. Congratulations to the authors: Pietro Frigo, Emanuele Vannacci, Hasan Hassan, Victor van der […]
- Paper: SneakySnake🐍: A Fast and Accurate Universal Genome Pre-Alignment Filter for CPUs, GPUs, and FPGAsDecember 8, 2020Our recent paper is accepted in Bioinformatics! Mohammed Alser, Taha Shahroodi, Juan-Gomez Luna, Can Alkan, and Onur Mutlu, “SneakySnake: A Fast and Accurate Universal Genome Pre-Alignment Filter for CPUs, GPUs, and FPGAs” Bioinformatics, to appear in 2020. Source Code: SneakySnake🐍: A […]
- Radio Interview: Onur Mutlu discusses the review processDecember 8, 2020Listen to Onur Mutlu’s interview as he discusses the review process in the “ORF Dimensionen” broadcast on “Peer Review and Open Science” How well does peer review work? Interviewer: Mariann Unterluggauer 11 November 2020 The idea of using an assessment process to […]
- IEEE Edward J. McCluskey Technical Achievement Award 2020 videoDecember 5, 2020Onur received the IEEE Computer Society prestigious 2020 Edward J. McCluskey Technical Achievement Award for “innovative and impactful contributions to computer memory systems.” In honour of this achievement, the IEEE Computer Society have produced a commemorative video. Watch the video IEEE […]
- We are at MICRO 2020 this week! Join Lois Orosa for his talk on FIGARO, Monday, October 19 6:30PM CESTOctober 17, 2020Our new paper: FIGARO: Improving System Performance via Fine-Grained In-DRAM Data Relocation and Caching will be presented by Lois Orosa at MICRO 2020 on Monday, October 19 at 6:30 PM CEST. Join us at MICRO 2020 online! Authors: Yaohua Wang, Lois Orosa, Xiangjun Peng, Yang Guo, Saugata […]