The SAFARI Research Group is led by Professor Onur Mutlu. We are part of the Department of Information Technology and Electrical Engineering (D-ITET) at ETH Zurich.
Our group conducts cutting-edge research and education in computer architecture, computing systems, hardware security, bioinformatics, and software/hardware co-design. The major goal is to design fundamentally better computing architectures. Our work spans the boundaries between applications, systems, languages, system software, compilers, and hardware, with architecture at the core. We tackle many fundamental issues in high performance, energy efficiency, hardware security, fault tolerance, predictable systems, dependable systems, hardware/software cooperation, and genome analysis. We are especially excited about novel, fundamentally-secure and fundamentally-efficient computation, communication and memory/storage paradigms. Recent impactful examples of the group’s work include leading research into memory/storage systems and new computing paradigms, e.g., the discovery of the DRAM RowHammer vulnerability and the development of a comprehensive Processing-in-Memory paradigm.
We are always looking for highly qualified and motivated students and researchers. If you are an ETH student and are interested in doing a bachelor or master's thesis with us, or a semester project, please see our Theses and Projects page for potential topics.
If you are about to finish your bachelor or master’s degree or are already doing research and are interested in working with us at any level (internship, PhD, postdoc, visiting scholar), please visit our Work with us page.
- SAFARI Live Seminar: Damla Senol Cali 07 Nov 2021October 18, 2021https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfpLmrtvNtU&list=PL5Q2soXY2Zi_tOTAYm–dYByNPL7JhwR9& Join us for our SAFARI Live Seminar with Damla Senol Cali. Sunday, November 07 at 6:00 pm Zurich time (CEST) Damla Senol Cali, Bionano Genomics Accelerating Genome Sequence Analysis via Efficient […]
- Our latest paper in Genome Biology is outOctober 4, 2021Our latest paper in Genome Biology reviews the developments in read alignment algorithms since 1988 until now. We investigate how the development of read alignment algorithms is impacted by changes in sequencing technologies, such as read length, throughput, and sequencing error rates. Mohammed […]
- SAFARI Live Seminar: Nastaran Hajinazar 27 Oct 2021October 1, 2021https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIfPHtvA9rw&list=PL5Q2soXY2Zi_tOTAYm–dYByNPL7JhwR9&index=10 Join us for our SAFARI Live Seminar with Nastaran Hajinazar. Wednesday, October 27 at 7:00 pm Zurich time (CEST) Nastaran Hajinazar, SAFARI Research Group Data-Centric and Data-Aware […]
- SAFARI Live Seminar: Jawad Haj-Yahya 4 October 2021September 18, 2021Join us for our SAFARI Live Seminar with Jawad Haj-Yahya. Monday, October 4 at 5:30 pm Zurich time (CEST) Security Implications of Power Management Mechanisms In Modern Processors, Current Studies and Future Trends Jawad Haj-Yahya, Huawei Research Center Zurich Livestream at 5:30 pm Zurich time […]
- SAFARI Live Seminar: Christina Giannoula 27 September 2021August 25, 2021Join us for our SAFARI Live Seminar with Christina Giannoula. Monday, September 27 at 5:30 pm Zurich time (CEST) Efficient Synchronization Support for Near-Data-Processing Architectures Christina Giannoula, National Technical University of Athens Livestream at 5:30 pm Zurich time (CEST) on YouTube: […]
- SAFARI Live Seminar: Minesh Patel 21 September 2021August 24, 2021Join us for our SAFARI Live Seminar with Minesh Patel. Tuesday, September 21 at 5:00 pm Zurich time (CEST) Enabling Effective Error Mitigation in Memory Chips That Use On-Die Error-Correcting Codes Minesh Patel, SAFARI Research Group, ETH Zurich Livestream at 5:00 pm Zurich time (CEST) on YouTube: […]
- SAFARI Live Seminar: Ataberk Olgun 15 September 2021August 24, 2021Join us for our next SAFARI Live Seminar with Ataberk Olgun. Wednesday, September 15 at 5:00 pm Zurich time (CEST) QUAC-TRNG: High-Throughput True Random Number Generation Using Quadruple Row Activation in Commodity DRAM Chips Ataberk Olgun, TOBB University of Economics and Technology & SAFARI […]
- Public Lecture, Croucher ASI Workshop August 25August 18, 2021Join us next week at the Croucher Advanced Study Institute workshop on “Frontiers of AI Accelerators: Technologies, Circuits and Applications”, August 24 – 27, 2021, for Onur’s public lecture on “Intelligent Architectures for Intelligent Systems” Talk time: […]