The SAFARI Research Group is led by Professor Onur Mutlu. We are part of the Department of Information Technology and Electrical Engineering (D-ITET) at ETH Zurich.
Our group conducts cutting-edge research and education in computer architecture, computing systems, hardware security, bioinformatics, and software/hardware co-design. The major goal is to design fundamentally better computing architectures. Our work spans the boundaries between applications, systems, languages, system software, compilers, and hardware, with architecture at the core. We tackle many fundamental issues in high performance, energy efficiency, hardware security, fault tolerance, predictable systems, dependable systems, hardware/software cooperation, and genome analysis. We are especially excited about novel, fundamentally-secure and fundamentally-efficient computation, communication and memory/storage paradigms. Recent impactful examples of the group’s work include leading research into memory/storage systems and new computing paradigms, e.g., the discovery of the DRAM RowHammer vulnerability and the development of a comprehensive Processing-in-Memory paradigm.
We are always looking for highly qualified and motivated students and researchers. If you are an ETH student and are interested in doing a bachelor or master's thesis with us, or a semester project, please see our Theses and Projects page for potential topics.
If you are about to finish your bachelor or master’s degree or are already doing research and are interested in working with us at any level (internship, PhD, postdoc, visiting scholar), please visit our Work with us page.
- Congratulations to Nastaran Hajinazar on her successful PhD DefenceJune 10, 2021Nastaran successfully defended her PhD thesis in June 2021. Congratulations Nastaran! We look forward to many more collaborations with you in the future. Thesis: Data-Centric and Data-Aware Frameworks for Fundamentally Efficient Data Handling in Modern Computing Systems Abstract: There is an […]
- Congratulations to Gagandeep Singh on his successful PhD DefenceMay 18, 2021Gagan successfully defended his PhD thesis in March 2021. We are excited that Gagan will stay on with SAFARI as a postdoc and we look forward many successful collaborations with him. Congratulations Gagan! Gagandeep Singh, March 2021 (defended 29 March 2021) Thesis title: “Designing, Modeling, […]
- Reducing Solid-State Drive Read Latency by Optimizing Read-RetryApril 30, 2021Watch our recent talk at ASPLOS 2021: Jisung Park, Myungsuk Kim, Myoungjun Chun, Lois Orosa, Jihong Kim, and Onur Mutlu, “Reducing Solid-State Drive Read Latency by Optimizing Read-Retry” Proceedings of the 26th International Conference on Architectural Support for Programming Languages […]
- SIMDRAM: A Framework for Bit-Serial SIMD Processing using DRAMApril 30, 2021Watch our recent talks at ASPLOS 2021! Nastaran Hajinazar, Geraldo F. Oliveira, Sven Gregorio, Joao Dinis Ferreira, Nika Mansouri Ghiasi, Minesh Patel, Mohammed Alser, Saugata Ghose, Juan Gomez-Luna, and Onur Mutlu, “SIMDRAM: A Framework for Bit-Serial SIMD Processing using DRAM” Proceedings of […]
- Join us at ASPLOS 2021 onlineApril 12, 2021We are at ASPLOS 2021 this week and next. Join us for our talks and learn more about our recent works: Session 2: Memory Systems, Monday, April 19 4:00 PM Pacific Tiime: Irina Calciu, M. Talha Imran, Ivan Puddu, Sanidhya Kashyap, Hasan Al Maruf, Onur Mutlu, and Aasheesh Kolli, “Rethinking […]
- Onur Mutlu and Co-authors Receive the 2021 HPCA Test of Time AwardMarch 9, 2021Congratulations to Onur Mutlu and co-authors on receiving the HPCA Test of Time Award for their 2003 HPCA paper: Runahead Execution: An Alternative to Very Large Instruction Windows for Out-of-Order Processors Onur Mutlu, Jared Stark, Chris Wilkerson, Yale N. Patt The IEEE International Symposium […]
- Interview with Mohammed Alser: on his recent papers and his future workJanuary 22, 2021Mohammed Alser is a Senior Researcher and Lecturer with SAFARI. He was previously a PhD student in SAFARI, co-advised with Can Alkan. Mohammed co-teaches two Projects and Seminars courses on Genome Sequencing Analysis and Mobile Genomics along with the Seminar on Computer Architecture. We recently […]
- Interview with Damla Senol Cali: about her work, experience in SAFARI, and her future directionsJanuary 11, 2021Damla Senol Cali is a PhD student with SAFARI at CMU co-advised by Onur Mutlu and Saugata Ghose. We recently interviewed Damla about her work, her experience as a PhD student in SAFARI, and her future directions. Damla’s interview appears as the first video contribution to the SAFARI Meet […]